Water; it’s essential to human life and something you put inside your body every single day – so why wouldn’t you want it to be as clean as possible? Water filters are an excellent option if you want the best quality water for your family and household.
With so many different models and price ranges on the market it can be difficult to narrow down the best option for your needs and budget. We’ve taken a look at the leading brands across all different categories and rounded up the best ones for you below.
Top 10 water filters in 2019
1. Brita Small 5 Cup Metro Water Pitcher with Filter
This water pitcher tops our list because it’s compact, easy to use and simple to maintain. Often, water pitcher filters are given a bad rap because, despite being cheap to purchase initially, their upkeep in the long run when replacing the filters is ongoing and fairly frequent. However, not everyone has the money to fork out or the space to house a bigger, more expensive and permanent faucet or under-sink filter.
If you’re new to the water filtering game and looking for an easy, cheap way to get started then this might be your ticket. It’s got a 5 cup capacity and is super compact so it won’t take up much space in your fridge. Depending on usage, the filter will need to be changed every couple of months and this will be indicated electronically with a light on top of the pitcher so you won’t have to do any guesswork. There’s also a 6 month water filter that can be bought instead of the standard filter if you like the idea of having to change it less.
It comes in blue, red and white, is BPA free and most importantly it filters out all the main nasties; chlorine taste and odor, copper, mercury, and cadmium impurities. This is a great, entry-level option for those who are wanting cleaner water but don’t have a big budget.
What are the reviews saying?
1,900+ reviews with a 4.5 star average on Amazon
Overall, the reviews are very positive for this Brita pitcher with customers remarking on how their water tastes great and they can see when they change the filter that many particles have been picked up and removed from their drinking water. Many users love the sleek design and remark that it’s stylish enough to leave on the dining table during dinner.
Some customers do mention that the water capacity can be a little too small when used frequently but love how easily it fits into all spaces. There’s also a 10 cup model from Brita that some reviewers mention is a better option if you’re looking to hold and filter more water at a time.
- Filters chlorine taste and odor, copper, mercury, and cadmium impurities
- Compact for convenient storage
- Easy to set up and use
- Great for beginners
- Lasts around 4 gallons/150 litres before filter needs to be changed (longer lasting filters can be purchased)
- Electronic indicator for when filter needs to be changed
- 3 different colours
- Reputable brand
- First three pitchers full of water will contain carbon dust from new filter and will have to be discarded
- Filters need to be replaced every couple months
- Only filters 5 cups of water at once
2. APEX Countertop Drinking Water Filter
This is a different kind of filter from the pitcher and comes with a whole range of awesome differences, it connects to your tap and sits on your countertop for whenever you need filtered water. Using carbon block filters, your water is filtered of common additives and contaminants like mercury, pesticides, chlorine and radon plus cryptosporidium and giardia cysts which can cause illnesses.
Alkaline beads will balance your water and add minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium to help detoxify the body, provide better hydration, reduce fatigue and so many other benefits. This is an easy to install option that will purify and improve your water significantly. It may be a bit of an eyesore on your kitchen bench but it comes in a range of different colours and we think the health benefits far outweigh the aesthetic shortcomings.
What are the reviews saying?
600+ reviews with a 4.5 star average on Amazon
The main gripe reviewers have with this product from APEX, is that when it comes time to change the filter it’s almost impossible to do. As this needs to happen about once a year it’s not a huge worry but it may be a drawback for some purchasers.
Besides this, customers are extremely happy with the smooth, clean taste of the alkaline filtered water and are really happy that APEX adheres strictly to water filtration state laws.
- Filters mercury, pesticides, chlorine, radon, cryptosporidium and giardia cysts
- Comes in chrome, red, blue, black and clear
- Makes water alkaline which is great for the body
- Adheres to national safety standards
- Filter only has to be changed about once a year (750 gallons/2,800 litres of water)
- Some reviewers mention that algae has begun to grow at the top of their filter (APEX advises this may happen when the product is left in direct sunlight)
- Filter is difficult to change
3. APEC Top Tier 5-Stage Ultra Safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
This is for the hardcore water filterers out there that want the best of the best when it comes to flitering contaminants.This water filter system is designed to be easily installed under your sink and operate super quietly – you won’t even know it’s there apart from the taste of your crisp, ultra clean water.
This product from APEC (not to be confused with APEX) features 5 layers of reverse osmosis filtration that will remove 99.99% of contaminants from your drinking water, comes with a 1 year warranty guarantee and only requires the filter to be replaced around once a year, with the reverse osmosis membrane needing to be changed once every couple of years.
What are the reviews saying?
175+ reviews with a 4.8 star average on Amazon
Overall, customers are super impressed with this filtration system and the price it comes at compared to more expensive models. Water quality and taste is noticeably improved after installation and is great for well water or houses with older plumbing.
- Filters out over 1,000 contaminants (99.99% overall)
- Easy to install
- Great price for the quality
- Taste and feel of water is noticeably improved
- Filter needs to be changed only once a year, reverse osmosis membrane once every couple years
- 1 year warranty
- Takes up alot of space under sink
4. Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
Here’s another excellent water pitcher filter that’s BPA-free, 100% vegan and recyclable, a great option for those of us who are conscious about our environment. Aquagear also promises to provide 6 months of clean drinking water to those in need for every filter product they sell – an awesome initiative!
This water pitcher will last for 150 gallons of water before the filter needs to be replaced, making it about 3-4 times longer lasting than the Brita filters. However, it’s about triple the cost so be sure to keep this in mind when shopping around.
The great thing about this pitcher is it has a 5 stage filter (similar to the APEC product above) that will remove fluoride, lead, chromium 6, chloramines, mercury, chlorine and more whilst keeping in the calcium and magnesium which are beneficial to human health and that reverse osmosis systems will actually generally remove.
This stylish, FDA approved pitcher only requires a filter change once every 6 months and if you’re not happy with it within 30 days you can get your money back with no questions asked.
- 5 stage water filtration
- Filters for fluoride, lead, chromium 6, chloramines, mercury, chlorine and more whilst keeping in the calcium and magnesium
- Filter only needs to be changed every 6 months
- FDA approved, vegan and recyclable
- Aquagear will provide 6 months of clean drinking water to someone in need every time a filter is purchased
5. Ecosoft Countertop Drinking Water Filter System
For those of you who are fans of the easy to install and efficient countertop filter systems, this is another sturdy option that is a similar price range to the one above from APEX. It comes in green and white and uses a coconut-based carbon shell to remove chlorine, lead, sediment particles and chlorination by-products.
The filter will need to be replaced about once every 3-6 months which isn’t too bad and new customers get 1 year warranty and their first filter replacement for free, a great incentive to save some money.
- Coconut-based carbon shell
- Filters chlorine, lead, sediment particles and chlorination by-products
- 1 year warranty
- First filter replacement free for new customers (comes with product)
- Easy installation
- Comes in white and green
- Not as aesthetic as other options
6. Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter with Advanced Water Filtration
Here is another different kind of filtration system; the faucet mounted filter. This particular filter from Culligan comes in a chrome finish and is super affordable compared to other options on the market. The filter inside it will last around 2 months before needing to be changed and uses a carbon block system to reduce atrazine, chlorine, lindane, lead, particulates class I, turbidity, bad tastes and odours.
- Easy tab to switch on water filtration
- Easy to install
- Carbon block filter
- Reduces atrazine, cryptosporidium, giardia cysts, chlorine, lindane, lead, particulates class I, turbidity, bad tastes and odours
- Smaller than other faucet mounted filters
- Bulky on taps, can be a problem in small sinks
- Filter only lasts around 2 months before needing replacement (difficult to replace)
7. PUR 3-Stage Horizontal Water Filtration Faucet Mount Chrome FM-9400B
If you’re liking the sound of the faucet mounted filters, this is one from PUR that employs a 3 stage filtration that will last around 2-3 months before the filter needs to be replaced. It’s about double the price of the Culligan product above but comes with a 2 year warranty for peace of mind.
- Reduces dirt, rust, sand, turbidity, heavy metals and more, removes 99% of lead and microbial cysts and 97% of chlorine taste and odour
- 2 year warranty
- 3 stage filtration
- Less affordable than other options
- Reviews mention product sometimes starts leaking
8. iSpring RCC7 High Capacity Under Sink 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Filtration System
Similar to the APEC filtration system we mentioned earlier, this under the sink, 5 stage reverse osmosis filter comes in around the same price range. It will remove up to 99% of contaminants and should only take a couple hours to install. A great, long-term investment for cleaner water.
- 5 stage reverse osmosis filtration
- Out of sight
- Removes over 1,000 different contaminants – up to 99.9% overall
- 1 year warranty and a money back guarantee if not satisfied
- Will take up space under sink
9. PUR FM-3700 Advanced Faucet Water Filter
This is another popular faucet mounted filter from PUR. It features a stylish chrome finish and a LED indicator so you know when to change the filter (every 2-3 months). It’s a smidge more expensive than the Culligan faucet filter and has a less advanced filtration system than the other PUR faucet filter but is a popular mid-range choice, just be careful of leaks.
- LED indicator for filter changes
- Stylish chrome finish
- Known to develop leaks
- Filter needs to be changed every 2-3 months
10. Brita 23.7 Ounce Hard Sided Water Bottle with Filter
Last but not least is this bottle filter by Brita for those of us who want filtered water on the go, whether it be at work, the gym, wherever! It’s dishwasher safe, has an easy sip straw, handy carrying loop and reduces chlorine taste, odour and particulates often found in tap water that you wouldn’t want in your body. A great on-the-go product for cleaner, safer water.
- Carry loop and easy sip straw
- Dishwasher safe
- Reduces chlorine taste, odour and particulates often found in tap water
- Comes in a range of colours
- Filters less contaminants that other filter systems
- Filter should be replaced every 2 months
Whether you’ve got a small budget, money to splurge, want clean water for the whole family or live by yourself, there’s a water filtration option out there to suit everyone’s needs. Don’t just put up with contaminants in your water, hop on the water filtration bandwagon and start feeling the benefits of cleaner, fresher water.